Sunday 26 October 2008

Fell runners 'enjoy' the challenge of the severe weather

Not the slant given by the reporting on the news.

Even by the official news reports.

First, I am not well informed of all the facts but this for me raises an important issue:

Can we not be allowed to risk our lives doing things we want to even though sometimes we get it wrong?

As a supreme risk taker - I love pitting my wits against the odds, both physically and mentally - I believe it develops my personality by being allowed to take whatever risks I want.

If I kill myself - so be it - that is what makes life worth living!

The big question is - do I cause problems for others?

So - do they - when doing whatever they do - have to endanger themselves.

Have they got the strength of character themselves to say:

This guy got himself into this mess - he can jolly well get himself out of it.

As for public expense - there's a lot to be said for testing our systems to check they work now and again.

Secondly, its good to encourage people to test themselves against the odds - that's why I think skateboarding for kids is brilliant - so are team sports which encourage cooperation and reliance on each other !

No comments: